Saturday, January 30, 2010

The closer it gets, the more excited I get

Valentines Day? I was wondering what Valentines day was all about and I decided to do a little researching. I just love the mystery of it all. The stories are heartbreaking, fascinating, and wonderful. There couldn't be any greater, bitter-sweet tales to go with a more bitter-sweet holiday. Saint Valentine risking his life for those who were in love and wanted nothing more than to marry, solidifying their choice in one another. 
Or Valentine being thrown into prison, only to fall in love with the jailers daughter. In his last attempts to share his true feelings to the woman he loved, before execution, he writes a letter and signs, From your Valentine. *sigh*  Saint Valentine must had been courageous, heroic and romantic and therefore I will continue to celebrate Valentines day, if not for the boxes of chocolates and bundles of flowers, than for LOVE itself.

Most of my friends despised and dreaded Valentines day in our single days, but for me, I never got the chance to wallow in self pity and feel the sting of desolation. I only seemed to feel the sting of Cupid's arrow. I always seemed to have a guy show up on my door step when Valentines day rolled around whether I was hoping for it or not. 
First, there was Travis T. The whole first valentines was awkward and honestly, dreaded. Its something I'd much rather forget. Then there was Travis V. (what with the Travis', you say? I don't know) This Travis was cute and sweet enough to steal my first kiss. On VALENTINES day, nonetheless:)
Now I'll skip over a year or so and tell you of when I meet my true Valentine. Rick and I had our first date in February. I didn't know at the time that he would become my one true love so I agreed to have Valentines dinner with Luke, only to have Rick in the back of mind the entire night. Now I have Rick on my mind always. So I can't complain about Cupid. He eventually got it right. It just took him a few tries:)
I am very much in love with Rick and happy to be. He is my Valentine for years to come and he is my best friend, quite literally the man of my dreams and the love of my life. I'm so happy to have him by my side for all eternity. There is no better gift than to know that that will never change.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

You are so sweet. I love you to death (and beyond). Rick is so lucky to have caught you. I think he must have paid Cupid that February 5 (?) years ago!

Jamie Hunt said...

OH How Romantical! You two make an absolutely beautiful couple by the way! Happy almost Valentines Day Shay!

Rae said...

I love how romantic you are! I think Valentine's is fun to those who make it fun, and you definitely do that!